Sunday, November 10, 2013

Wednesday, October 30



Today was Wednesday, but it was the last day of school for the week so I was super happy. School was nothing special, but then at 3 when we were supposed to go to art class, Katie, Antonia, and I walked into the center of town to get ice cream and walk around. I really like the center because there are so many cute little shops and hand craft type things to buy, and it’s just a really nice environment. The only problem is that when we go in our uniforms people sometimes give us funny looks because we are from Instituto Ingles, and that has a reputation as a really prestigious private school and a lot of people are jealous of that because the public education here is really terrible. Anyway, we got back to the school and talked to friends while eating out ice cream, and then my mom picked me up at 4:30.  I came home, packed my suitcase really fast, and then my mom dropped me off at Cata’s house because she had invited me to stay the long weekend with her and my other friend Gabs at her grandparents apartment near the beach in Vina del Mar. Cata, Gabs, Rosario (Gabs’ sister), Mary (Cata’s sister), me, and Cata’s mom got in the car and began the 3 hour drive to Vina. We drove north of Santiago to a part of Chile I’ve never been to before, and it was really pretty and fun to look out the window. By the time we got to Vina it was almost dark, but just seeing the beach and smelling the salt air felt so great.
I didn’t realize how much the ocean reminded me of home, but it was really nice to be near it. We went up to her grandparents’ 12th floor apartment literally overlooking the ocean, and met her grandparents. The grandma is super sweet and really active, but the grandpa could barely get out of bed, so we just greeted him and then went away. We unpacked and claimed beds (there were two bunk beds and I got a top bunk), and then ate dinner. Her grandma is very elegant and ladylike, and so she served us a huge dinner with scones and little cakes and tea and sandwiches. I felt very British. I had a great time talking with all of them. Gabs, Cata, and I always laugh a lot when we’re together, and I love that. I feel like I can be myself around them without worrying about making Spanish mistakes or anything because I know they will just laugh at me and love me anyway. After dinner, we went outside and walked like 2 minutes down to the boardwalk and played around for a while before going back up to the room, showering, and going to sleep while watching a movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment