Sunday, November 10, 2013

Tuesday, October 29


Today at school was had a math test and an English test. I was happy about both of them because those are the two classes that I actually understand. I usually do the English tests in Spanish to practice, but today I was just lazy and did the whole thing in English. It was weird because I actually found a few grammatical errors in the English test. It makes me wonder if there are grammatical errors in our Spanish tests at home. After the English test, we went out for break, and there was a giant mechanical bull in the middle of the patio.
I was pretty shocked. Apparently the student government elections are coming up and there are two lists running. Each list does something really cool for the students in order to win votes. Anyone who wanted to could go ride the mechanical bull during break and during lunch.  I was too embarrassed, but some of my friends did it and it was hilarious to watch. I’m excited to see what the other list is going to do. Anyway, after school, Antonia and I walked into the center of town to meet up with Katie, Daniel, and another exchange student named Katie who goes to a school nearby. We ate in the food court of the mall, and then walked around the center for a while talking and eating ice cream. I really like the exchange students, and I always have such a great time with them. We walked back and Katie and I took the micro to the Jumbo and hung out there for a while before going back to my house. Katie’s parents picked her up. Then, I asked my parents if we could have a talk. For a while now, I have been feeling really overprotected here. They don’t always let me go out when I want (even if I have a ride), and they always want me to stay in the house for “family time”. I was starting to feel like I was missing out on a lot of my exchange. I only have a year here and I need to take advantage of every opportunity I have. I also still don’t really feel like I have any close friends here, so I want to be able to hang out with people as much as possible so I can get to know them better. Apparently my parents also had some concerns. They told me I need to keep my drawers more organized (I don’t fold my clothes so I guess that complaint was understandable) and that I need to spend more time with the family. They told me they would let me go out twice a month and never later than 2:30 in the morning and never to anyone’s house that they don’t personally know. That’s when I started crying because I was just so frustrated that they didn’t understand and that  I couldn’t explain it in Spanish or convince them how badly I need my freedom. I think with my tears that understood how much freedom means to me, and basically we agreed that if I made more of an effort to spend time with the family on Sundays, we could take each weekend at a time. I told them that I would never ask for things too big or out of reason but that I really need permission to do things more often with friends. We’ll see how it goes from here, but at least now I feel more confident asking them for permission to do things, and I feel like they know where I’m coming from. After I stopped crying and calmed down, we all ate dinner together as a family and had a nice long conversation. Then I took a shower and went to sleep late.

No comments:

Post a Comment