Monday, November 11, 2013

Sunday, November 10


Today was a super lazy Sunday. I woke up late and got ready slowly. My mom, siblings, and I ate breakfast together while we watched this Chilean comedian who makes fun of famous Chileans—sufficed to say I didn’t understand much of the inside jokes and impersonations he did. Then I worked on college applications (something that I haven’t done in a while and that has kind of been hanging over my head). I was really excited because I actually finished the UC app so now all I have to worry about is the common app. Then I went to help my mom cook lunch and she, Maxi, and I had a really interesting conversation about the school system in Chile. In the US for example, if I met someone new  I would assume that they went to a public school, mixed gender, only high school (not kindergarten through senior year), and that they had the opportunity to receive an education basically of the same caliber as mine. Here it is completely different—there are public schools that are prestigious, public schools that are terrible, mixed gender schools, single gender schools, religious schools, non religious schools, private schools, semi-private schools, and each person can choose which type of school they go to (obviously sometimes they have to have money or have a certain GPA, but they don’t always just go to the public school closest to their house). The education system here is really different and a big topic of debate in the upcoming presidential election. We ate a nice lunch all together, and then I went to work on my blog for a while. I was like two weeks behind so it was nice to be able to finally catch up. Then I went back to the kitchen and cooked chocolate chip walnut cookies. My family absolutely loved them. They said it was the first time they’d ever seen the cookies made from scratch. I find it so funny that my mom can cook such complex recipes but it’s like it never occurred to her to cook the little easy things. While the cookies baked, Monse and I listened to Taylor Swift and had a dance party in the kitchen. Then after they were done, I went into my room and Skyped with Melanie and then later with Ana. It was so nice talking to them, and it made me realize how much I love and miss them. I thought talking to them would be hard and it was just better not to think about them so I wouldn’t miss them, but it actually just made me feel really loved. It’s nice to be reminded that I have people waiting for me at home who really truly love me and will always be there for me.
After we finished skyping, I went out and had dinner with my family. We had a super long conversation, and by the time we got up from the table it was 10:30 and I was tired, so I showered and dried my hair quickly and then went to sleep. Sleeping has been kind of hard the past few nights because I sleep with my head turned to the side and all the pressure goes on my ear and my new piercings really hurt. Whatever, I was tired to I just tuned out the pain and slept.

No comments:

Post a Comment