Thursday, April 3, 2014

Monday, March 3

This morning, it was almost impossible to drag myself out of bed at 6:40 to get ready for school. What made it worse was that last night my mom had forgotten to pick my skirt up from the tailors (the zipper was broken it wasn’t that the skirt didn’t fit anymore hahaha I was really scared that I’d gained so much weight that it wouldn’t fit but it did so thank God) so I had to go to school on the first day in jeans and tennis shoes with the red school polo shirt.
It was all ok though when I got to school and saw my classmates again. We all greeted each other with enthusiastic hugs and kisses on the cheek, and it was just a giant flurry of excitement and asking people how their summers had been and telling people about mine and above all realizing how much I had missed these people and how much they had missed me and feeling amazing that I have real friends here now. It was also pretty cool to be in the classrooms on the upper level of the patio now instead of on the bottom. It made me feel like a senior hahaha. I claimed a better seat in the classroom this year because last year they had just put me in the back corner and it was really sucky to be so alone and separated from everyone.
We basically didn’t do anything in school all day. They introduced us to our new profesora jefa and the school’s new rector, and then they gave us our notebooks and sent us home at 12. After school, Juandi and his family came over to talk to my mom about something, and I took the time to ask him about how his 3 month exchange in Boston went. He had an absolutely amazing time, although he didn’t learn a whole lot of English while he was there. Then after Juandi’s family left, our family ate lunch together. After lunch, I had to prepare for the Skype interview that I had scheduled for today with NYU Shanghai. It’s not like I really want to go to college in Shanghai, but I thought it would be a cool experience, so I applied anyway, and they had asked me for an interview. I was actually really nervous before the Skype interview, and I took the time to brush my teeth and put on a nice shirt and everything. I think the interview went really well though because the interviewer basically asked me a bunch of questions about the benefits and challenges of living in a foreign country and speaking a foreign language, and I certainly have some firsthand experience with that. After the interview, I had once with Monse and Maxi, and then I went for a run. During the run, I finally actually had a conversation with the group of kids I always see playing in the villa and always wave at but never talk to. We had like a 15 minute conversation, and they’re super sweet and adorable and really interested in me and where I come from. After the run, I showered, dried my hair, and tried to go to sleep early to be less tired the next day at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment