Sunday, September 22, 2013

Sunday, September 8

I had to leave Sally’s house early the next morning because my cousin Nacho and I were going to run a 10k in Rancagua. I woke up at 8 and Sally and I went down to eat breakfast with her parents. We left for my house around 8:30. On the way home I got a call from Nacho asking where I was. I was confused because the race didn’t start until 10. Then he told me that the clocks had been changed the night before and it was actually 9:30 and not 8:30. We had to walk quickly to the center of Rancagua for the start of the race. When we got there, we realized that the race was not going to start on time. We watched the runners from the 2k finish, and then all the 5k and 10k runners were called to the starting line. We ran through the streets of Rancagua, and I had a great time. It was different to see the city on foot. Nacho and I didn’t talk much because it’s basically impossible for me to speak Spanish while I’m out of breath from running, but I had a lot of fun running with him. He had to run a lot slower than usual for me, and we finished the race in an hour and 6 minutes (super slow I know don’t judge me). We walked back to the house and everyone was just waking up.
We showered and then helped Nancy cook lunch. Then after lunch, everyone decided to bake cupcakes (which are much less common here than they are in the US). Nacho found a cupcake recipe in Spanish, and I found one in English. We decided to make both and have a competition to see which came out better. We made mine first, and I was pleased to find that I could easily translate all of the ingredients into Spanish. Before we made Nacho’s, Maxi and I had to ride our bikes to the store to get more eggs. On the way out, we saw a magic show in the Jumbo shopping center. Then we rode home and made Nacho’s cupcakes.
By that time we had made about 60 cupcakes. We then took out sprinkles and frosting and decorated all of them. Finally we got to try them. Nacho won. By a lot. But whatever I’m not a sore loser! Then we ate dinner, Maxi showed us some card tricks, and went to sleep around 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment