Friday, August 16, 2013

Monday, August 5

Monday, Maxi and Montserrat went to school, but Cristobal, Nancy, and I went to some government office (I forget the name but it was like the equivalent to the DMV) to get my ID card. In Chile, when you are walking in public you are required to have your ID card with you at all times. We had to wait like 2 hours before they would take us, so we waited in the car with the heater on. When it was our turn, I gave them my paperwork, and they took my photo and fingerprints. I can get my official Chilean ID card in few weeks. After that, Nancy and I went to the Jumbo to buy a few things from the grocery store. We looked around in the stores and talked. Then, we went to Instituto Ingles to pick up Maxi and Montserrat.
While we were waiting, Nancy introduced me to a few of my classmates. I admit, I was really nervous to meet them, but the people who noticed me (they knew an exchange student was coming, and I guess I looked the part) were so friendly and welcoming—even if I couldn’t understand what they were saying. A little while after we got home, two of Cristobal’s friends came over. I didn’t know what to do because I wanted to meet them and be friendly, but at the same time I didn’t want to intrude on his life especially since I couldn’t understand what they were saying or really say much in response. I sat with them while they played Fifa (the video game) and then they asked if I wanted to go play soccer with them outside. I was prepared to say no, since I’m not exactly athletic and I didn’t want to get in the way of their game, but then Montserrat wanted to play too, so I decided to join. It was actually really fun! They are all so good at soccer, and I basically just looked like a bumbling idiot, but it was nice to do something that didn’t involve speaking Spanish. Yes, it was awkward, but they were so friendly, and I’m glad I made the effort. After they left, Nancy, Montserrat, and I went to the grocery store to do the “monthly shopping”. I thought we would just buy a few things like my family does in the US. We went up and down every single aisle and spent 3 hours completely filling a cart with food. We bought so much and it was all things I have never heard of!
When we got home, we unloaded all the food, put it away in the kitchen, and I took a shower and got ready to start school the next morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment