Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Friday, August 16


This morning was pretty lazy. We woke up late, and I worked on my blog (making up for lost time and enduring vast technical issues) while Cristobal finally started packing. I tried to teach Monse how to French braid hair, but I think it’s going to take a while for her to learn.
 Uncle Ignacio arrived from Santiago in the afternoon, and then the whole family went to the Jumbo to buy all of Cristobal’s last minute needs and to buy all of the supplies for the giant family party that’s happening Saturday night. We ate dinner at Papa John’s (their first time), and they were very impressed with “American pizza”. When we got home, Eric, Monse, Grandpa, and I played Escoba (a traditional Chilean card game) and Dominos while I waited for Cristobal to shower and get ready for his going away party.


I would like to start off by saying that parties here are nothing like the parties I went to in California. We arrived at Cristobal’s best friend Chi Chi’s house at around 10. Even though it was freezing cold, the party was outside around a fire pit. I knew some of the people there, but about half of them were new to me. Everyone was super friendly. We talked and laughed and I felt really included. Admittedly, it was mostly the boys who were talking to me, and I seriously don’t care if they flirt with me; it was just nice to have people talking to me! Almost everyone at the party was drinking and smoking, and most of them said that their parents were fine with it. The drinking age here is 18, so it’s easier to obtain alcohol, and much less likely to get caught drinking. I talked to everyone at the party, and they were all so hilarious and interested in what I had to say. I had so much fun! Nancy didn’t come to pick us up until 3:30, and we didn’t get home until 4am. Chileans stay out fricken late! I was so tired! It was so sad to see Cristobal saying goodbye to all of his friends at the party because I of all people know exactly how he is feeling. It’s a weird mix of excitement to leave and dread at the thought of living a full year without your closest friends. The adventure is exciting, but before the adventure can begin, goodbyes are necessary, and goodbyes are always unquestionably sad.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment